Papercrafts, mixed media and foamiran flower projects to inspire

Thursday 5 December 2019



As we approach this festive time of year and the special day gets closer it will soon be time to put away our Christmas themed craft products and stash them safely to use next year. Today I share with you the final Xmas project made with the Christmas Mitform metal embellishments as I think that I have so many other things to fit into my hectic schedule that it is unlikely that I will be making another Christmas project this year. I hope you like this sample and use some of the crafty techniques in other projects throughout the year. 



I wanted to use techniques inspired by the wonderful Finnabair and combine them with the Mitform products and also a series of chipboard houses that I got from 14 Craft Bar. I started by taking a box frame canvas approximately 8" x 10" and added snowflakes using a Tim Holtz stencil and black stencil paste before coating with black gesso. I then adhered the houses in a line to make a street scene. I placed a number of the non-Christmas Mitform pieces plus two of the cute Christmas Stockings below the houses spelling out the word Noel. I also added Finnabair art melange pebbles (the white dots in the picture below)  for further interest before covering the whole lot with more black gesso.


I then built up layers of colour to give depth and dimension - I sprinkled blue cast and magic sparkle luscious powders by Indigoblu over the piece and then sprayed with water to dilute and distribute the colour - this allowed the paints to settle in the crevices of the pieces. 





I wanted to bring more definition to the houses so added a shadow using midnight sky acrylic paint by Finnabair and also some splats of white acrylic paint to give the affect of snow falling. 




My next step was to add some more midnight sky paint around the sky - daubing a thick layer along the top of the piece and letting it run by spraying with water. More colour was added using waxes from Finnabair in shades of blue, green and iron.






The piece looked to me as if the houses were floating in the middle of nowhere so I then added a grounding layer using snow paste which was sprinkled with glass glitter and several shades of Tim Holtz distress glitter










The combination of glitters and mica in the luscious powders means that this piece has a sparkle that is so difficult to pick up on a camera but in real life gives a beautiful effect. - I love the luscious powders so much and the two that I chose are duo tones - the blue cast looks white in the pot but is blue on dark surfaces and the magic sparkle is white in the pot and gives a clear sparkle on white backgrounds but as in this piece a silvery shine on dark backgrounds. If you haven't tried them then I urge you to try them out.






































































No comments:

Post a Comment